Translate

Bookmark and Share

Friday, February 15, 2013

Prayer Which Transforms


   
Psalm 13 
For the director of music. A psalm of David.

1 How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?

2 How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
and every day have sorrow in my heart?
How long will my enemy triumph over me?

3 Look on me and answer, O Lord my God.
Give light to my eyes,
or I will sleep in death;
4 my enemy will say, “I have overcome him,”
and my foes will rejoice when I fall.

5 But I trust in your unfailing love;
my heart rejoices in your salvation.
6 I will sing to the Lord,
for he has been good to me.

The Desperate Soul 
I love this Psalm. It is one which any one of us can pray from our heart. All believers, at some point, will have the sense of having been deserted by God in their time of need. Storms surround us, we see no way out and we descend into depression.

The Honest Soul 
David is a smart man. Instead of hiding his feelings inside, he tells the Lord exactly what he thinks. And so he should ... and so should we. It's not as if God doesn't know what's going on inside us.

The Transformed Soul
When David unburdens himself to God a change takes place. He has dumped the rubbish on God (or, in more spiritual language, cast his cares on the Lord) and into the vacated space comes a remembrance of what the Lord has already done. Whatever else may befall him, David knows God has both loved him and saved him.

Our testimony is the same. No matter what we are going through, however we may feel, God is still God and always worthy of our praise for the love which He lavishes on us and the free gift of salvation bestowed upon us.

No comments: