Translate

Bookmark and Share

Friday, November 20, 2009

Rest For Your Soul

"Come to me ... and I will give you rest." Matt 11:28

I have very much needed rest over the past month. One particular yoke I have been bearing has felt especially heavy and the question arises, is this a burden Jesus has placed upon me or have I chosen it for myself?

Rest For The Soul
One of the characteristics of the yoke of Jesus is that it gives rest for the soul, that is for the mind, the will and the emotions.

Jesus doesn't promise physical rest in our labours for Him during our natural lifetime, but we should not suffer the stresses of confusion or emotional turmoil. If what we are doing for Him leaves us feeling stressed and anxious, it's time to take stock and reconsider whether the calling we first had still stands.

Of course it may simply be that we have stopped relying on the Lord and are doing things in our own strength.

A Two Stage Process
Finding peace in our labours is a two stage process.First Jesus says, "come to me." There is, as my mother used to say, "no rest for the wicked," (cf Is 48:22). The only way to find peace is to be reconciled to God through the sacrificial death of Christ.

But our searching for peace does not end at salvation for Jesus doesn't simply say, "come to me," but also, "take my yoke upon you and learn from me." He invites us into a discipleship relationship in which we work alongside Him, according to His plan. It is in this work that we find rest and peace.

Prayer College Assignment
There is joy in salvation. There is also joy in working for the Lord. Is there something in your labour for Him which has lost its joy, which now leaves you feeling stressed? Ask God to show you whether the yoke you are bearing is His and be prepared to lay it down if He shows you it is not.

No comments: